Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lhasa - Rising



Earlier this evening my mom was playing "Rising" on a playlist and she called me over to interpret the music video... I haven't stopped listening to the song since. 


Rising



The song meanders around and through you, winding around your arms and legs like a smoke snake. The sound of her voice is comforting, like a foggy memory from childhood. The harp reminds me of mourning - I can imagine standing inside beside a window, looking out through the pouring rain and feeling alone. But the idea of "rising up" seems like a salvation, someone is coming to save you and take you away to a better place. Someplace sunny and warm, grass swaying in a soft breeze. Listening to this, my mind can't help but drift off with every passing thought. I thoroughly enjoy this song and I was saddened to learn that Lhasa passed away in 2010 after a battle with breast cancer.




Such beautiful lyrics!
I got caught in a stormand carried away   
I got turned, turned around 
I got caught in a storm
that's what happened to me
so I didn't call
and you didn't see me for a while 
I was rising uphitting the groundand breaking and breakingand windows were breaking 
I couldn't hear what you were sayingI was caught in a storm
things were flying around
and doors were slamming
and I couldn't hear what you were saying
I couldn't hear what you were saying
    I was rising up
    hitting the ground
    and breaking and breaking
Rising up
Rising up


Lhasa de Sela
1972- 2010
Contemplatively, 
iKaria

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful song and video, I think it is one of the very best of Lhasa de Sela. She always singing so charming, so moving, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete