Sunday, February 19, 2012

Die Antwoord Part II: TEN$ION

TEN$ION
Hello folks,

Well, it's that time of year again, winter Reading Break, which means two things:
1. I have no classes for the next week (w00t) and,
2. it's the 2nd anniversary of this blog (bigger w00t).

To celebrate, I've put together another post on everyone's favorite foul-mouthed South African rap-rave group, Die Antwoord. Their second studio album, Ten$ion, hit stores on February 7th, and the gossip surrounding this album is that they left Interscope records and released Ten$ion under their own record label, Zef Recordz.

Reception has been lukewarm from what I can tell, most reviewers commenting on their extreme persona, language and content, but I think they missed the boat on this band. The #1 mistake? First impressions. Like I said in my earlier post, it took me quite a few months to "get" them. They're an acquired taste, to be sure, but I think the most important thing is to listen to their music for what it is. It does them an injustice to be compared to other bands. The other thing is that coming from North America, I have no idea what South African culture is like. Their music probably speaks to the local audiences far better than it would half-way across the world.

But you didn't come here to read an essay - you came to see some fre$ and futuristik music...



a gif from Fok Julle Naiiers - tumblr
What do you think: can Die Antwoord break into the North American market? (The product endorsement of Dr. Dre Beats headphones has been noted) I'm not sure if North America can handle their Zef Fre$...


Die Antwoord on David Letterman (Feb.6.12)

Not the best example of their music, but I suppose if you have to censor 75% of the song lyrics (not that most of us can understand Afrikaans anyways) then you're going to end up with a different song. It feels unnatural for them.


Heads up: the rest of this post contains language not suitable for all readers.
Viewer discretion is advised. 

I Fink U Freeky

The fist single and, I think, the best song on the album. I saw it on Yolandi's facebook page and I didn't like it at first - a common trend with this band - but after a few more listens... Well, I played it on a loop on my iPod for the next week.

Just as an aside, I showed my mom the Letterman clip and without skipping a beat she says, "it's funny that Yolandi should be saying 'I Fink U Freeky'..."



Rage faces courtesy of Dan's Awesome Rage Maker




Never Le Nkemise 1 

I like the beatz...

Never Le Nkemise 2
 
... in these two songz


Fok Julle Naaiers
I had the official video for this song linked, but even though I'm accustomed to the extreme language that Die Antwoord likes to use - this one was a bit too much, as in, I love Yolandi and Ninja, but I don't want my blog to get black-listed by the greater Internet community. It's a cool music video, but you'll have to YouTube this one for yourself ;) 


   

These are the songs that stood out to me - the rest are a bit too crude for my tastes x) Overall, the album seems to be embracing a more electronic sound while still retaining the funky, futuristik rap that makes Die Antwoord Zef Fre$.


Liewe Maatjies

Umm, I'm not really sure where this song came from. It's not on the track list of either album O_o


Alexander Wang Spring 2012

Found this in my YouTube lurking


Umshini Wam

... before you can ask: Yolandi is wearing a Gloomy Bear costume (I checked)

THIS video ... well, you see, the thing is, umm, you know, it's kinda like, uhh...

*clears throat*

It is entirely, and completely Die Antwoord. Zef Fre$ means being fancy with what you have (that came from an interview with the band, don't remember where I saw it). There is something about the chemistry between Yolandi and Ninja that I find adorable. They're tough and prickly on the outside, but for all their eccentricities there is a human aspect about them that really speaks to me, and maybe that's what I like about them. Yolandi's got some serious spunk, and although I think Ninja looks creepy, they seem perfect for each other. They are my guilty pleasure - but I don't feel guilty about it.

Just for fun, here's a review of Umshini Wam I found on brutish & short.

Check out their official website here: http://dieantwoord.com/


   

Cheers from your Reddit-lurking music blogger,
iKaria



(I take no credit for any of these pictures. I found them on Google, but I don't have the original URL's - sorry)


*******
Sept.10.12 UPDATE!



I meant to add this sooner, but here is my new favorite Die Antwoord track:

Baby's On Fire

Flame on! \m/-(>.<)-\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment