Wednesday, October 12, 2011

SIBERIA _ My Review

Lights live in action - photo from iamlights.com
I won't deny it - I've listened to nothing else but Lights since I downloaded her album this weekend. I wasn't sure if I liked the new album at first - yes, it's heavy and she has incorporated some pretty sweet dubstep beats, but the divergence from her 'sound' took some getting used to. I think it's great when artists experiment and play around with new sounds, but sometimes you like an artist for their unique sound and in this case, The Listening was very unique; an enjoyable blend of electronic beats, space-y themes, and quirkiness that came to represents Lights for me. Her dabbling in the heavier beats almost - and I don't really like saying this but the thought did cross my mind at the time - almost made her sound like any other female pop star (NOT that there is anything wrong with pop singers, I just never pegged Lights as one).

That was then... now, I've decided I quite like Siberia. My favorite tracks are:
Toes

Peace Sign


Suspension
Banner
Everybody Breaks a Glass
Siberia 

Toes




Peace Sign



Suspension



Banner



Everybody Breaks a Glass



Siberia


I did buy a ticket to her concert next month - kinda stoked to see her again... for the 3rd time xD And this time.... this time, I will squirm my way to the front even if I have to use underhanded tactics such as The Well-Placed Tickle (muahahahah....) just kiddin'. 



'Cuz that would be WEIRD O_o



Although, speaking of being weird at concerts, I really wanted to do something funny at last night's Opeth concert... people seemed so serious! (Insert: "Y so srs?" *Joker face*) Opeth didn't have the berserk rowdiness of Amon Amarth, instead, it was more of a contemplative, head-nodding appreciation for metal. Still saw the long hair and black clothing (one guy even had a spiked helmet and fangs! - a pic forthcoming...) but there was no circle-pit and very little shoving (thank goodness!). The opening band, Katatonia, was pretty sweet too - and I bought a t-shirt from both bands. I'm definitely going to have to cut them though - even though I got the last small sizes (in both shirts! What luck!) the "small" sizes are 'small' enough to fit my guy friends and I'm a pretty small person :o Once I upload the pics from my phone I'll write up a review of the Amon Amarth and Opeth concerts :)




Cheers,
iKaria

P.S. A note from the sponsor: this 
blog post is brought to you by Procrapstination Inc. - where all students can invest their time in creative, productive outlets that are completely unrelated to 'studying' for the midterms and/or quizzes taking place the next day. 

3 comments:

  1. I think there is a common theme in this post! A change in music sounds! Heritage was divergent from the traditional heavy Opeth, and Siberia is divergent from the usual lighter Lights!

    I wasn't crazy for Muse's new sound when they released The Resistance, but it grew on me. Sounds like you're already liking Lights' experimentation.

    I think some of the differences between Amon Amarth and Opeth are due, partly, to our relative position in the crowd. There was a hint of moshing closer up to the front during a few heavy sections at Opeth, but I agree, nothing like Amon Amarth where we pressed close enough to be on the edge of the circle of craziness. But at Amon Amarth, further back into the crowd, there were mellow head bobbers too. Overall though, I think this Opeth performance was just too soft, and Heritage is just too mellow, for old school Opeth fans. No growls, no screams, no constant heavy beats and riffs. I felt like it was a crowd of heavy metal kids who just wanted to go nuts, but the songs just wouldn't warrant them releasing that mad energy so they bobbed their heads and tried to appreciate it, considering they paid to be there. It's kinda hard to release demons and rock out when Mikael is sitting down with an acoustic guitar finding his soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it far better than I! What a very perceptive analysis - you've got the crowd dynamics down to a science :P

    I agree, it seemed like a lot of build up, but an even faster let-down. Those poor Opeth fans. I hope that no one will say that about us in the far (far, far, far, far...) away future, "those poor Muse fans" :x

    Never!!!!
    (Never leave us pleeeeeez, o falsetto Matt)

    Although, I'm pretty sure that's why they "retired" Origin of Symmetry - it might already be past the time for him to sing songs like "Micro Cuts" or to do the "Bliss" falsetto :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sigh* I agree, I don't think we'll hear another album like Origin of Symmetry. And I suspect being a dad might change his perspective a bit. Change is good... but I'll be pretty disappointed if it's an album of lullabies.

    ReplyDelete