Saturday, October 22, 2011

Kerli Fries

It's Kerli with curly hair... xD
I created this playlist on the way to campus today. I present to you:


[Kerli Fries]
Army of Love - Kerli
Lights (Bassnectar Remix) - Ellie Goulding
Sick - Evanescence
Stinkfist - Tool
Iron - Woodkid
The Noose - A Perfect Circle
Haus Am See - Peter Fox
Pure Morning - Placebo
Ready, Able - Grizzly Bear
Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear
Slow Life - Grizzly Bear

I wish I could still make playlists on playlist.com so that you could listen to the songs as I can on my iPod, but alas, I can't listen to anything because I'm in the wrong "region".


Anyhoo, I first heard Kerli Kõiv (if you're wondering how to pronounce that, I put up a video at the end of this post :) about two years ago while searching up Kanon Wakeshima. Kanon did a couple songs for the Vampire Knight anime series that I'd been watching on YouTube (think Twilight - it's got vampires, a love triangle and it's set in a school) based off a manga of the same name. This was the song Kanon wrote for the opening credits:


Still Doll





iTunes describes Kerli as: "a mix of Bjork, Natasha Bedingfield, and Evanescence's Amy Lee ... with a touch of [Gothic Lolita] on her debut album, Love Is Dead." She kinda of reminds me of a Nightmare Before Christmas themed Lady Gaga. Wiki P. Edia quotes Kerli as describing her style as 'BubbleGoth' which is "putting together light and dark, opposites, and things that you don't really necessarily think go together."  

The funny thing with Kerli, and I suppose with a lot of the other artists I feature, is that I don't really click with them the first time I listen. I didn't dislike her when I first heard "Walking On Air" two years ago, rather, I added her to my iTunes Wish List and put her away for a later date. And as it turns out, that later date was yesterday! 


She's set to release her second album this fall and this next track is the first single. I definitely obsessed over this song for all of last night/ this morning/ today. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about it that I can't get enough of. It's a bit of a change from her previous sound, more electronic and dance-like, but I'm liking it!

Army of Love

vs.
Walking On Air

What do you think of her new sound versus the old one? 
Comment below! :D

Kerli explains the deviation from her sound in this interview:




How to pronounce her name in Estonian and English:


If you didn't catch how to say it in America, it's just like 'curly'. Heheh, like curly fries! xD


Cheers!
iKaria

No comments:

Post a Comment