Sunday, March 20, 2011

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

 I was listening to my iPod on shuffle the other day when one of my all-time favorite songs came on and I was reminded that I've been wanting to do a little article on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for some time. (fyi, Matt has said that he admires their gusto). Without further ado, here is the first single from the bands' third studio album It's Blitz, "Zero":
It was this song that first introduced me to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and to their unique genre of music. My love for the song was only further reinforced when I took a close look at the lyrics and realized that, at least by my interpretation, the song was about Icarus. The Greek myth of the flight (and fall) of Icarus has been a fascination of mine for many years but I'll leave that rant for another post :P Moving on!

This is "Heads Will Roll":
Nice little tribute to MJ's "Thriller". Not only is their muse-ic awesome, but Karen O has become something of an enigma herself! Apparently she can list Marilyn Mason amongst her many admirers... And another little tidbit of trivia, Quora/Olivia Wilde's hair in Tron Legacy was inspired by Karen's. 

Another personal fav, gotta dig the raw energy of "Gold Lion" from Show Your Bones:
Actually, I think Apple must have "dug" this song too, they used it for one of their iPhone adds!

hee hee, vampire children! YaY for "Y Control" (Fever to Tell):

Karen is pretty awesome, but for a period of time I kinda has a little ity-bity crush on Nick Zinner (the guitarist).... I think it was the hair. 

Here's "Cheated Hearts":

Don't take my word for their awesomeness, check out this live performance of "Down Boy" off the EP Is Is:
LOVE the energy, the passion, and the TINSEL! :D

And finally, the song that catapulted them to fame, "Maps":
Mini-bio:
An American indie rock band based in New York City, their style has been described as "an art-rock trio who made an edgy post-punk, dancefloor-friendly racket".

No comments:

Post a Comment