Monday, September 10, 2012

Purity Ring

Shrines
Hey!

Today was my first day back in classes, and as much as I love summertime, it feels good to get back into the swing of things - including blogging! I'm happy to kick things off with a post about 
Purity Ring, an electronic music duo from Montreal. Being the responsible student that I am, I went to see their concert yesterday ... at 11:30pm. It's a looong story. 

Their debut album Shrines has only been out since July 24, 2012, but they have a strong presence on Youtube with nearly 10 million views on one video alone (granted, I'm not sure how much it has to do with their music, and how much has to do with the picture... see for yourself, Lofticries)

At least he's honest
Even though I first heard "Lofticries" many many months ago, it wasn't until recently that I discovered I liked their music. Here are my favorite tracks: 

Fineshrine



Obedear



Lofticries



Live:
The appeal of their sound for me is that the electronic is more ethereal and less dance. It's different. But put them into an intimate club venue and all of a sudden the walls can barely contain the vibrations from all the wub-wubs xD It was RIDICULOUS - cups were being rattled right off counters and you could feel your hairs vibrating. I've never been to a concert in a club before, but Purity Ring was a new experience for me in more ways than one. They combined sound and light in a way that enhanced the music, added a unique touch, and captivated your curiosity. 

Even with the awesome 8-megapixed double LED flash camera on my new phone I couldn't really get any good shots because I was just too darn far away :( That's why I'm using these great photos from The Snipe News!

Singer Megan James


The brightness of the lanterns followed the beat of the music


Corrin Roddick is controlling the lighting and sound with that light bulb-looking contraption - which he custom-built  himself!


Photo from ATS
Website
http://thepurityring.tumblr.com/

Cheers!
iKaria


No comments:

Post a Comment